Working while sick? Cut that crap out, go home and rest!

For years I would struggle and go to work sick and contagious because I needed to get the work done.  My team needed me.  The business needed me.  They can't function without me.  What I didn't realize is that when I'm not at my best, I can't be my best.

Yeah, I got the work done or the webinar completed or the folks trained but they didn't get 100% Joyel, they got 50-65% at best.  That's no bueno.  Showing up while sick doesn't make you a hero.  It fosters a lack of self care which (as I slowly learned) can lead to other deeper issues along the way.  I developed larger health issues along the years that accumulated into some pretty scary stuff.  It was my body's way of signaling me to slow the hell down!  But I didn't listen until I was 4 meds in, 2 fibroid removal surgeries down and had a stress related cough that gave me a hernia to realize that working while ill is not the answer to a more productive life.

I'm writing this note to all of you to remember that you can't be the very best you when you're not well.  The very best - means being healthy and fully rested and really showing up 110%.
I struggled for the past 2 weeks with the flu.  Last week, I felt human again but still struggled with my voice but plowed through the week with a sore throat and fatigue.  "I can work the week, I feel much better." I told myself. Guess what?  That sore throat got worse.

I figured just sleeping it off at the end of the day was going to work out since I work for myself now.  I wasn't infecting anyone.  I felt ok for the most part.

I have been preparing to have a promotional video filmed for my website and was praying that my voice held up for the shoot tomorrow.  Fatigue was really setting in and I wasn't feeling any better.  "Plow through it." I thought to myself just as I had for almost 20 years.  But then I realized that working harder when you're not 100% wasn't making me more productive, it always made me feel worse and produce less.  Is this the face of leadership that I want to convey to my potential clients?!  Um, no!

I'm a team of one now.  But I still need to be 100%.  I finally sucked it up and went to the doctor today and learned that not only did I have Strep Throat but a wicked sinus Infection too!

I had to cancel my shoot and I'm quarantined to my home for 2 days.

Some would say it's a punishment.  To me, I'm reframing it to mean that I have some major healing to do.  Rest and more rest- so I can be my very best.

Newsflash! You're not just spreading germs all over the place but you're spreading the message that your work is more important than your health.  But understand this- without your health you can't do the very best you can.  Your body is telling you to slow down and tries to get better but that can't happen without adequate rest and sometimes some amazing medication.

It's a shame that it took me 20 years to figure this out...but for some- they haven't learned this hard lesson yet.  Some live to work and others work to live.  Last year, I made the choice to chose the latter.

Please take care of yourself.  Take care of your co-workers.  Don't work when you're sick- especially because you just might be contagious!

Rest up everyone!  Be well and have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Comments

  1. this is all so dang true. rest up and get ready to come out of the gate at 110%!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I finally got my name in lights!

Oops I Did It Again!

My Romance...