Brave New World

I have been pushing myself into new experiences, or challenges that scare me to get past my fears.  I love to perform. But performing on an instrument that I'm not very good at alone has been struggle for me.

I realize that I can only get better with practice.  This 7 week Mindfulness and Stress Reduction class that I completed really works! My health has never been better and my blood pressure is the best it's ever been. 

I had to talk myself off the fence of fear 10 times yesterday to get the courage up to go and play at an open mic night at this really awesome music venue (World Cafe Live).  I was invited by the host (a huge step) and then it was the venue- A place where some of my most favorite artists performed.  And then it was playing my original music, without the safety net of my fiancé backing me up.

My stomach was churning, I started to get a migraine, my muscles were spasming.  All the signs of anxiety that I used to feel when I was at my most stressed out last year. 

That mindfulness of the signs of anxiety was a breakthrough.  I was able to realize that all of those auto responses were a way that my body was trying to protect me.  I practiced some mindful breathing and loving kindness meditation. 

I hated being still and trying to allow my thoughts to pass me by like clouds because there was something I thought I needed to do that was much more important.  What I realize now, is that I am the most important thing to focus on.  Taking time to settle and reframe and focus will help me in the long run.

The good news I showed up to the event and signed up.  The bad news is that everyone got there an hour early (insider knowledge that I know now) and booked up the list.  :-(  However, I made a commitment to myself to show up again next week and sign up-early.  I tore the fear bandage off.  I listened to some new artists and made some new pals.  
Sometimes finding out the unknown isn't so bad.  


Sometimes you just have to show up to show yourself you can do it. -Joyel Crawford


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I finally got my name in lights!

Oops I Did It Again!

My Romance...